Thursday, October 6, 2011

Layout Share: Stocking Surprises

This layout was created based on a sketch by Allison Davis. (One Page Sketch #11).

“Stocking Surprises”
 
Variation #1:
I loved how the sketch had the smaller pattern paper pieces mixed with the swirls and stars. I cut the pattern paper exactly as directed on the sketch, but I used a stamp to create my swirls, and I also repeated the stamping above the larger photo and along the bottom of my layout. Along the circular “jeweled” areas on the stamp, I added some brown brads. This was a great way to use up some of my brad collection! I also added some silver star sequins to the stamped areas for interest. A silver word paperclip was added to the bottom of the largest photo to carry out the copper brown and silver theme.

Variation #2:
I used 4x6 photos and cropped them down to follow the sketch. The larger photo I used was vertical instead of horizontal (3.25 x 4”) and the two smaller photos were 3 x 3”. I also sanded the edges of the photos with a nail file to help them stand out a bit more against the pattern papers.

Variation #3:
I used two alphabet sticker sets and created a banner from cardstock to hold part of my title. I inked the edges of the banner and adhered it with foam squares and silver brads. The red felt alphabet reminds me of the red felt that my mom used when she made these stockings for my kids.

Variation #4:
Using my sewing machine, I added journaling lines, then wrote in my text. I also added some small label stickers to include the date and ages of my children. I also stitched along the outside edges of the layout and inked the edges with brown ink and a craft sponge to finish off the layout.

Supplies Used: 
Patterned Paper: Basic Grey (Figgy Pudding: Kringle, Tinsel, Nestled)
Cardstock: Bazzill (Tan); DMD (Kraft) 
Alphabets: Basic Grey Micro Mono Stickers (Olivia); American Crafts Thickers (Playroom Felt) 
Brads: Making Memories (Antique Copper, Silver) 
Inkpads: Ranger Distress Ink (Walnut Stain); Tsukineko (Timber Brown StazOn)
Stamps: Inkadinkado (Jewel Swirl) 
Stickers: 7 Gypsies (Mini Labels); The Girls Paperie (Tinsel & Twig Border)
Pens: Zig Writer (Brown); Martha Stewart (Black)
Adhesive: Foam Squares and Glue Dots
  Other: WeR Memory Keepers (Corner Chomper, Brad Setter); 7 Gypsies Word Paperclip (Joy); Craft Supply (Silver Star Sequin); Craft Sponge, Sewing Machine and Brown Thread.

No comments: