Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Honorary Texan layout



The December challenge over at Scrap Our Stash is to use your scraps. I created a layout for the challenge and wanted to share the pictures here. This was such a fun layout to create because I just sifted through my paper scrap drawers and pulled a variety of patterns.


Then I cut the scraps into smaller pieces of varying width and length using my paper trimmer. These pieces were trimmed with scissors on one end to create a "v" to simulate ribbon.

I used a piece of white cardstock that had been stamped on one side. The stamping wasn't something I was going to use on a project, so I turned the paper over and used the white side to create the photo layer and the strip that the pattern papers are adhered to.

 
To adhere the strips to the white piece, I just added adhesive on the back of the white piece, then randomly placed the papers on the adhesive, making sure the ends were staggered.
 
I didn't worry about the overlap to the right of the white strip. I ended up cutting off those ends when I was done lining the papers up.


Then I was able to take this strip of papers and I sewed them down to my layout with black thread to create some texture and to make sure all the patterns stayed in place. For some more 3d texture, I included some gold and silver star shaped sequins that were added in three places and attached with black brads.

For my title, I stamped a frame onto another piece of the white scrap paper, colored it with markers, then stamped the word "honorary" inside the frame with mini alphabet stamps. The frame was cut out and attached to the layout with 3d foam squares. The rest of the title was created with some white chipboard letters.

This is a fun way to use up quite a mix of pattern papers. Some of these wouldn't have been good to use with this layout in a full piece, like the black bird paper, but when they were cut into small strips, you see mainly the colors and not the actual pattern on the paper.

I have a few more projects to share with more of these scraps, but I will wait and post those separately.

I can't wait to see how you use up your scraps! Once you have completed your project ,email a picture and a brief description to scrappinpsycho@live.com and it will be posted on the Scrap Our Stash blog for everyone to see. Your entry must be received by midnight on December 31st. A winner will be chosen and announced on January 1st. The winner will be offered the opportunity to be a Guest Designer for the month of February.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow, Megan. I didn't realize that you did a whole little tutorial on your layout. This is awesome! I love the close-up photos. I can really see all of the details. Way to go, girl!

Get the Picture by Kathy said...

This is Grrreat! I hate when I see something someone has done - but I'm not sure how they did it so I can recreate it. Thanks - I'm going to try the stips of paper cut to look like ribbon.

Way to go!